Front Seven: Previewing Saturday’s tip college football games
November 7, 2014 - Finding Carter
The Front Seven reminds we to expostulate safely and conform all posted signs.
1. Stop: No. 15 LSU made copiousness of stops a final time a top-10 organisation had to revisit Baton Rouge during night. The Tigers will try to shake adult a SEC West underneath a lights once again in their always constrained annual showdown with No. 4 Alabama. Both defenses arrange in a tip 4 nationally in fewest points surrendered, so don’t design a lot of fireworks. The tip priority for a Tigers will be gripping Crimson Tide WR Amari Cooper in check. That should meant removing an additional physique on him during a line of scrimmage, a charge that could go to S Jamal Adams, before he can find space downfield. LB Kwon Alexander and DE Danielle Hunter, meanwhile, will do their best to worry Tide QB Blake Sims. Alabama’s plain reserve tandem of Landon Collins and Nick Perry keep large plays to a smallest vs. a Tide. There can be opportunities along a edges, that QB Anthony Jennings and WR Travin Dural will try to exploit, yet a Tigers’ descent temperament this deteriorate is build some-more around a revolution of pulsation TBs led by beginner prodigy Leonard Fournette.
2. Speed limit: Putting a speed extent on No. 5 Oregon has been all yet unfit for many of a season. Even common Duck-hunter Stanford couldn’t do it final week. But this Saturday’s opponent, No. 22 Utah, will do a best with a home-field advantage and assertive invulnerability to keep a Ducks grounded. With a descent line rounding behind into form, Ducks QB Marcus Mariota and RBs Royce Freeman and Thomas Tyner have had room to operate. Utes’ DEs Nate Orchard and Hunter Dimick like to interrupt things during a indicate of attack, yet they’ll need LBs Jared Norris and Gionni Paul to say opening firmness behind them. Utah’s strength in a kicking game, particularly P Tom Hackett and WR/RS Kaelin Clay, mostly gives a Utes an corner in domain position. Oregon’s inclusive offense could make that advantage reduction of a cause if a Utes aren’t means to means drives themselves. TB Devontae Booker would figure to give them their best possibility to do that, yet Ducks’ LB Joe Walker and S Erick Dargan will be wakeful of that as well.
3. Crossroads: They’ve been on a collision march for weeks in a Big Ten East. A complacent No. 6 Michigan State and a mostly complacent No. 11 Ohio State are prepared for their prime-time close-up in East Lansing that will, exclusive astonishing formula down a stretch, establish a multiplication winner. The Spartans’ descent change with QB Connor Cook and TB Jeremy Langford presents a credentials plea to hostile coordinators. WR Tony Lippett is a many inclusive aerial target. TE Josiah Price has glorious hands as well, yet he competence be indispensable to stay home in insurance some-more this week a approach Buckeyes’ DE Joey Bosa has been causing massacre in a backfield of late. Ohio State QB J.T. Barrett’s all-around diversion has grown extremely given being bearing into a limelight when Braxton Miller was harmed in a preseason. It didn’t occur fast adequate for a Buckeyes to equivocate a early detriment to Virginia Tech that looks even some-more deleterious in retrospect, yet a discussion climax stays really many in play. Barrett’s jaunty ability will need combined courtesy from Spartans’ S Kurtis Drummond and LB Taiwan Jones, so any yards from struggle TB Ezekiel Elliott and WR Michael Thomas can furnish would help.
4. Yield: No. 7 TCU hosts No. 9 Kansas State in a superstar of a hotly contested Big 12. The Wildcats enter a weekend as a usually organisation protection in discussion play yet have a some-more formidable finishing widen with trips to West Virginia and Baylor. They aren’t prepared to furnish control of their possess destiny in a discussion usually yet, however. TCU has a many easier remaining line-up and can put itself in good position with a win here. Life in a Big 12 compulsory a Horned Frogs to rise a some-more manly scoring punch. They’ve finished that this year with QB Trevone Boykin, whose career began as a receiver, perfecting his new position. In a blow for a Horned Frongs, streamer rusher B.J. Catalon won’t play. WRs Josh Doctson and Kolby Listenbee get a bulk of a yardage, with WR Deante’ Gray rising as a visit red-zone target. But a K-State invulnerability is a stingiest in a conference, with LB Jonathan Truman and SS Dante Barnett streamer a organisation that creates many of a tackles stick. But a Wildcats are still going to have to come adult with some points, best achieved if dual-threat QB Jake Waters can drive transparent of TCU LB Paul Dawson. Though WR Tyler Lockett stays a principal low hazard for K-State, some timely tosses to TE Zach Trujillo could give Horned Frogs’ S Sam Carter some-more to cruise as he patrols a secondary.
5. No passing: OK, that one’s going to be tough to follow when No. 8 Notre Dame visits No. 12 Arizona State. That duel in a dried sum to offer as a playoff rejecting game, yet a Fighting Irish with no discussion connection have reduction domain for error. The flitting of QB Everett Golson has been instrumental to Notre Dame’s success all year. WRs William Fuller and Corey Robinson are his categorical movers, yet he’s been removing some-more assistance of late from TB Tarean Folston. Sun Devils S Damarious Randall can design to have another bustling day. The ASU offense is still anticipating a balance with QB Taylor Kelly behind during a controls. His lapse from repairs was hampered usually as many by a Utah invulnerability final week, yet he’ll expected try to exam a low waters some-more to improved implement standout WR Jaelen Strong. Unfortunately for Notre Dame, LB Joe Schmidt (ankle) will be sidelined for a residue of a debate and so taken to assistance enclose ASU RB D.J. Foster. LB Jaylon Smith and S Elijah Shumate contingency take adult a tardy for a Irish defense.
6. Slow: No. 10 Baylor has not been slowed much. The Bears move a nation’s many inclusive offense into Norman to take on No. 16 Oklahoma in another pivotal Big 12 tilt. The Sooners, already saddled with dual joining losses, would need a lot of assistance to explain a title. Baylor QB Bryce Petty and several members of his receiving corps have battled whinging injuries all deteriorate yet have still managed to furnish 590.3 yards of sum offense a game, 349 by air. TB Shock Linwood has been a outrageous assistance in that regard, doing some-more than adequate from a backfield to keep a flitting lanes transparent for WRs KD Cannon and Antwan Goodley. LB Dominique Alexander and a Oklahoma invulnerability are accustomed to scheming for high-powered attacks yet will nonetheless have their hands full. The good news for Oklahoma is tip WR Sterling Shepard, who left final week’s easy feat opposite Iowa State early with an apparent leg injury, did not means vital repairs and could be available. His participation could usually assistance QB Trevor Knight keep a gait is what sum to be a high-scoring affair. TB Samaje Perine will also be needed, yet Bears’ LB Bryce Hager will positively be profitable courtesy to him.
7. One way: Some guys don’t usually play one way. A integrate of a best two-way talents in a diversion will block off in Seattle as No. 17 UCLA visits Washington. Bruins’ LB/RB Myles Jack has finished many of his work on a defensive side this season, yet he does have a integrate of TD runs in support of QB Brett Hundley and TB Paul Perkins. Whoever carries a round for UCLA contingency do his best to equivocate Washington DT Danny Shelton. It was Huskies’ LB/RB Shaq Thompson who’s done a bigger dash with his offense of late. His 7.91-yard normal per lift will make it formidable to keep him off a domain when QB Cyler Miles brings his organisation out. That’s when Thompson and Jack are many expected to accommodate in person, yet Bruins’ LB Erick Kendricks will never be distant from a round either.
GALLERY: THE WEEKEND’S TOP GAMES
A couple has been posted to your Facebook feed.