@GWUFootball Completes First Fall Scrimmage Tuesday Morning in Spangler Stadium
August 16, 2016 - Finding Carter
BOILING SPRINGS – Gardner-Webb took to a domain in Ernest W. Spangler Stadium Tuesday morning, completing a initial full-speed struggle of a tumble with good appetite and pace.
The Runnin’ Bulldogs finished a 110-snap struggle in reduction than dual hours, with copiousness of special teams work as an intermission. The GWU veterans and starters played only over 40 snaps on Tuesday, with pot removing copiousness of time to continue their pull adult a abyss chart.
After widen and pre-practice, a Runnin’ Bulldogs went right into particular work with position coaches – standard of a normal pregame slight – and started struggle movement shortly after.
A multiple of second and third-team done adult a initial revolution on both sides and a offense was means to pierce a bondage twice before stalling.
Reserve halfback Jayln Cagle (Kannapolis, N.C. / A.L. Brown HS) continued an considerable preseason on a initial drive, hastily around finish for a plain 15-yard benefit and bulling for another initial down.
The first-team invulnerability done a stop on a initial rotation, crude a offense on third-and-short – and scoring a touchdown when that snap sailed high and low before scooting divided on a turf. Safety Spencer Havird (San Diego, Calif. / Valhalla HS) scooped a miscue and dashed 30 yards into a finish section as whistles blew a play dead.
The residue of a struggle was uniformly matched overall, with a offense picking adult initial downs and a invulnerability creation several pivotal stops to forestall a bondage from moving.
Quarterback Tyrell Maxwell (Cordova, S.C. / Edisto HS) led a span of scoring drives on a day, regulating his dangerous mobility several times – though also showcasing improved correctness by a air. The 6-foot-2, 220-pound youth has been noticeably some-more accurate flitting a football by a initial 8 days of stay than a year ago.
Just before a mid indicate of Tuesday’s scrimmage, Maxwell converted a fourth-down possibility with his legs, afterwards got GWU inside a 15-yard line before handing a round twice to redshirt sophomore Khalil Lewis (Hilton Head Island, S.C. / Hilton Head HS). Lewis, a 5-foot-10, 215-pound back, carried tacklers for a six-yard benefit – afterwards bulled in for a measure from a one.
Lewis’ work in with a GWU strength and conditioning staff during a offseason has been on arrangement all preseason.
Maxwell led a offense on another scoring expostulate after a break, showcasing all of his skills. He scrambled out of difficulty nearby midfield and – if not for discerning whistles to strengthen a quarterbacks – was on his approach to paydirt from 40 yards away.
He followed with a good chuck to Willie Jackson IV (Mobile, Ala. / Faith Academy) for a 12-yard benefit to a 11 and strike container receiver Trey Brice (Gastonia, N.C. / Ashbrook HS) in a parsimonious window down to a two.
Maxwell afterwards leapt high on an erring snap to make a save, collected himself fast and waltzed into a finish section on a designed run.
Gardner-Webb switched gears shortly after that drive, going into Red Zone period. Backup quarterback Chase Arrington (Sanford, N.C. / Lee County) got a ‘Dogs on a house again, attack Eastern Michigan send Braylin Collins (Duncan, S.C. / Byrnes HS) on a five-yard scoring play.
Nose ensure Josh Ramseur (Kingstown, N.C. / Burns HS) got a good pull adult front on a following expostulate and sliced by for a tackle behind a line to frustrate and third-down possibility for a first-team offense.
Incumbent kicker Paul Schumacher (West Palm Beach, Fla. / The King’s Academy) stepped in and nailed a 35-yard margin idea – with copiousness of room to gangling – to top a morning’s activities. Schumacher also done a 30-yarder progressing in a day – joining on three-straight chances from that stretch after a expostulate stalled.
* Brice, Collins and Jackson any worked reps with a first-team offense during receiver, with Brice in a slot. Returning starter Kyle Horton (Charlotte, N.C. / Mallard Creek HS) has changed from a container receiver mark to an outward position to take full advantage of his field-stretching speed (4.33 40-yard lurch time).
* Linebacker Jeffrey Pegues (Charlotte, N.C. / Mallard Creek) had a sloping pass inside a 20-yard line on third-down only before a mid indicate Tuesday. Pegues and classmate Kenyatta Dunbar (Edgefield, S.C. / Strom Thurmond HS) any lapse to a starting lineup in 2016 after personification in haven roles final season. Each started as loyal beginner in 2014.
* Reserve quarterback Ramsey Rigby (Elba, Ala. / Elba HS) connected on a 18-yard initial down with Akron send parsimonious finish Caleb Chapman (Ft. Myers, Fla. / Evangelical Christian School) on a initial expostulate of a day.
* Linebacker Corey Horne (Guyton, Ga. / South Effingham HS) continued to gleam with a second team, picking off a pass after dropping into coverage.
* Backup cornerbacks Josh Carter (Bristow, Va. / Fork Union Military) and Ali Edwards (Sugar Hill, Ga. / North Gwinnett HS) any had a prominence play Tuesday. Carter picked off an early pass and returned it tighten to 15 yards – and Edwards knocked divided a pass low in his possess domain to frustrate a scoring event on third down.
* The aforementioned Cagle (5-11, 195, Fr.) has a good brew of distance and speed that has been on arrangement mostly in camp. He is able of out-running defenders on a corner while also anticipating space and pulling for yardage between a tackles. He also worked fielding punts on Tuesday morning and could impact special teams.
* Running behind Elijah Perry (Apex, N.C. / Middle Creek HS) also showed good acceleration Tuesday, darting around finish for a initial down early in a scrimmage.
* Gardner-Webb will strike a margin again Wednesday morning for a initial of dual practices on a day. The ‘Dogs will reason their second struggle of a preseason on Saturday morning – with officials on palm for that action.