McKennie Scores in Debut as USA Draws Portugal 1-1 in Leiria
November 15, 2017 - Finding Carter
LEIRIA, Portugal (Nov. 14) – On a night that kicked off a new era, a U.S. Men’s National Team drew 1-1 with third-ranked Portugal in a USA’s final compare of 2017. The MNT’s immature prospects put enlivening performances with 19-year-old midfielder Weston McKennie’s idea highlighting a talent in a group as a United States finished 2017 with a 10-2-7 record.
Starting in his initial MNT appearance, McKennie gave a U.S. a lead in a 21st notation with a well-placed shot inside a nearby post, apropos a third-youngest U.S. actor in a complicated epoch to measure in his initial cap. Midfielder Tyler Adams and core behind Cameron Carter-Vickers join McKennie in creation their debuts for a comparison National Team.
In a back-and-forth opening 15 minutes, both sides hold possession though couldn’t emanate any genuine threats. That altered shortly after, as a USA strung together a array of dangerous runs before McKennie’s strike (aided by a CJ Sapong pass) gave a U.S. a 1-0 lead. Portugal equalized in a 31st notation on a advantageous shot that slipped underneath U.S. goalkeeper Ethan Horvath. The teams traded opportunities for a remaining hour to leave a competition a 1-1 draw. The USA’s all-time record opposite Portugal stays passed even during 2-2-3.
The MNT will lapse to movement in 2018 when a group hosts Boznia and Herzegovina for a accessible compare on Jan. 28 during StubHub Center in Carson, Calif. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. PT, and a compare with be promote on FS1, UniMas and UDN.
Goal Scoring Rundown:
USA – Weston McKennie (C.J. Sapong), 21st minute: Making a run down a left sideline, C.J. Sapong played a round past dual defenders inside to McKennie, tarnishing towards a net. He maneuvered past one some-more Portuguese defender, took a few stairs to settle a round and deftly wrong-footed a ‘keeper to container him during a nearby post. USA 1, POR 0 [WATCH]
POR – Antunes (Bruno Fernandes), 31st minute: Building adult commencement with a ‘keeper, Portugal was process in a final third, patiently creation moves before promulgation a prolonged cranky from a right to a left side. Upon receiving a sepulchral pass, Antunes volleyed a shot towards a idea from outward a box, where it slipped by a hands of U.S. goalkeeper Ethan Horvath. USA 1, POR 1 FINAL
USA – Ethan Horvath, 39th minute: After a save, Horvath played a round to a field, where Danilo Pereira flog Kellyn Acosta to a ball. Running full speed, he bloody a shot during Horvath, who stayed in front and took it in to his chest.
USA – Ethan Horvath, 45th minute: As Bruma done a dangerous run to a net, Horvath came out to play a ball, diving in front of a attacker’s feet to pull a round divided and stop a dangerous event for a Portuguese.
POR – Beto, 52nd minute: Receiving a pass from Eric Lichaj during a 18, Cameron Carter Vickers sprinted towards a finish line and sent an on-target cranky to Tyler Adams during a distant post. Beto pacifist and got one palm on a ball, only adequate to pat it out-of-bounds and say a deadlock.
POR – Beto, 71st minute: Lynden Gooch played a round into a box after a USA giveaway kick, anticipating Carter-Vickers positioned during a distant post. Standing a step divided from a idea line, he attempted to trap a round with his chest, though Beto got a feet in to foot divided a goalscoring opportunity.
USA – Bill Hamid, 77th minute: Antunes launched another sepulchral shot from outward a tip right dilemma of a chastisement area and Hamid done an jaunty play to jump adult and inhibit a shot upwards. He finished a play and snagged a round on a approach down to safety a draw.
- Weston McKennie scored his initial idea in his initial cap. At 19-years-old, he becomes a third-youngest U.S. actor to grasp that attainment in a complicated era, behind Juan Agudelo and Landon Donovan.
- CJ Sapong picked adult his initial support in his third general appearance.
- A sum of 3 U.S. players warranted their initial cap. Midfielders Tyler Adams and Weston McKennie both got a start, while Cameron Carter-Vickers done his entrance from a dais when he entered during halftime.
- Adams (18 years, 273 days) becomes a initial actor innate in 1999 to seem for a MNT and is a second youngest to acquire a tip in 2017 after Christian Pulisic (18 years, 187 days on Mar 24, 2017 vs. Honduras).
- The MNT started dual teenagers (Adams, Mckennie) for a initial time given 1988, a camber of 29 years.
- Ten players who took a margin for a U.S. tonight were age 24 or younger: (24) Juan Agudelo, John Brooks, DeAndre Yedlin; (22) Kellyn Acosta, Ethan Horvath, Matt Miazga; (21) Lynden Gooch; (19) Cameron Carter-Vickers, Weston McKennie; (18) Tyler Adams.
- Seven of a USA’s starting XI are products of a U.S. Soccer Development Academy: Adams, Agudelo and Miazga (New York Red Bulls), Acosta and McKennie (FC Dallas), Horvath (Real Colorado), Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC).
- Veteran Danny Williams captained a side for a initial time tonight and warranted his initial MNT coming given a 1-1 pull with New Zealand on Oct. 11, 2016.
- Starting during right back, DeAndre Yedlin will finish 2017 one tip bashful of a half-century mark.
- Partnering with associate FC Dallas product McKennie in executive midfield, Kellyn Acosta led all players in a starting XI by creation his 13th appearance of 2017.
- The centerback partnership of Miazga and Carter-Vickers in a second half was a repartee of a duo’s purpose during a 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup.
- Following a array of injuries, John Brooks returned to a U.S. lineup for a initial time given Jun 8, 2017.
- Acosta, Miazga, Sapong, Horvath, Adams and McKennie all done their initial MNT appearances on European soil.
- Since initial assembly in 1978, a USA and Portugal are an even 2-2-3 all-time.
- The MNT is 0-2-2 all-time against A Seleçao on Portuguese soil.
- The U.S. finished 2017 with a record of 10-2-7.
– U.S. Men’s National Team Match Report –
Match: U.S. Men’s National Team vs. Portugal
Date: Nov. 14, 2017
Competition: International Friendly
Venue: Estádio Dr. Magalhães Pessoa; Leiria, Portugal
Kickoff: 3:30 p.m. ET (8:30 p.m. local)
Weather: 45 degrees; partly cloudy
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
USA 1 0 1
POR 1 0 1
USA – Weston McKennie (CJ Sapong) 21st minute
POR – Vitorino Antunes (Bruno Fernandes) 31
USA: 1-Ethan Horvath (12-Bill Hamid, 46); 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 3-Matt Miazga, 6-John Brooks (16-Cameron Carter-Vickers, 46), 15-Eric Lichaj (21-Jorge Villafaña, 59); 19-Danny Williams (capt.); 4-Tyler Adams, 8-Weston McKennie (11-Alejandro Bedoya, 84), 23-Kellyn Acosta, 17-Juan Agudelo (20-Lynden Gooch, 59); 18-CJ Sapong (14-Dom Dwyer, 77)
Subs not used: 22-Jesse Gonzalez, 5-Tim Ream, 7-Kelyn Rowe
Head coach: Dave Sarachan
POR: 22-António Pimparel; 2-Nelson Semedo, 3-Pepe (4-Luis Neto, 10), 24-Ricardo Ferreira, 5-Vitorino Antunes; 8-Bruno Fernandes (10-João Eduardo, 46), 13-Danilo Pereira (6-Ruben Neves, 62); 14-Manuel Fernandes, 17-Bruma (11-Bernardo Silva, 62), 18-Gelson Martins (19-Gonçalo Paciência, 46); 7-Gonçalo Guedes (16-Marcos Lopes, 81)
Subs not used: 1-José Sá, 9-André Silva, 12-Anthony Lopes, 15-Idgar Ié, 20-Kevin Rodrigues, 21-Ricardo Pereira, 23-João Cancelo
Head coach: Fernando Santos
Stats Summary: USA / POR
Shots: 9 / 13
Shots on Goal: 5 / 6
Saves: 5 / 4
Corner Kicks: 4 / 8
Fouls: 20 / 18
Offside: 0 / 1
Referee: Anthony Taylor (ENG)
Assistant Referee 1: Gary Beswick (ENG)
Assistant Referee 2: Stuart Burt (ENG)
4th Official: Andre Marriner (ENG)
ussoccer.com Man of a Match: Weston McKennie